Interconnect and Packaging
University of California, San Diego
- CK Cheng, firstname.lastname@example.org, 858 534-6184
- Lectures: 12:30-1:50PM, TTH, SSB 106
- (H) High Speed Signal Propagation: Advanced Black Magic Howard Johnson and Martin Graham
- (D) Digital Systems Engineering William J. Dally, John W. Poulton
- 1. Structure of Interconnect and Packaging, D2
- 2. Electrical and Physical Scaling, D1,H1
- 3. Transmission Line Model, D3,H2
- 4. Interconnect Signaling, D7,D8,H3,H5,H6
- 5. Transmitters and Receivers, D4,D11
- 6. Timing Interface, D10
- 7. Timing Components, D12
- 8. Noises, D6
- 9. Power Distribution, D5
- 10. Clock Distribution, D9,H12
- 11. Physical Interface
- 12. Heat Dissipation
- 13. Modeling and Simulation
Notes and Papers
- Lecture 1 on Structure, Blue Gene/L, z900, Processor
- Paper 1 (Blue Gene/L), Paper 2 (z900 Packaging), Paper 3 (z900 Power)
- Lecture 2 on Scalability, and Power Distribution
- Lecture 3 on Skin Effect
- Lecture 4 on Timing Interface, Speaker: Sarah Harris at Harvey Mudd.
- Lecture 5 on RLC Extraction , Speaker: Wenjian Yu at Tsinghua Univ.
- Lecture 6 on Performance Regions ,
- Lecture on Network Architectures, Speaker: Nikil Dutt at UC Irvine.
- Lecture 7 on Distortionless Communication ,
- Lecture 8 on Clocks: Meshes,
- Lecture 8 on Clocks: Shunts,
- Lecture 8 on Clocks: Rotary Clock ,
- Paper: Rotary Clock,
- Lecture 8 on Heat Dissipation, Speaker: Guoping Xu at Sun Microsystems.
- Homework 1 (Due 1/19) Compare Blue Gene/L, z900, and z990 in terms of i. computation power, ii. communication latency, iii. communication bandwidth, iv. power efficiency, v. space efficiency. Define and explain your metrics.
- Homework 2: (Due 2/2) Given a channel covered by ground planes of copper, the physical dimensions are 80cm long and 1cm wide. Between the two ground planes, we use Liquid Crystal Polymer as an insolator. The Liquid Crystal Polymer is 200 um thick with an almost constant electric permittivity, 3.0. Assume that the voltage attenuation cannot be lower than 0.2. Assign the width, separation, and thickness of the signal wires to maximize the 3db bandwidth of the channel. i. show the curve of transfer function, ii. show the curve of characteristic impedance, iii. explain the solution.
- Homework 3: (Due 2/16) (D10) 10-1, 10-3, 10-4, 10-5, 10-6.
- Homework 4: (Due 2/23) Repeat Homework 2.
- Homework 45%
- Final Project 55%