1991. The National Camp XIV was held in February at Chinmaya Vidyalaya. It was attended by members from all over India. This was the (75th) Platinum Jubilee Year of Swamiji's birth. For the first time in northern India, a silver tulabhar was arranged during the National Yagna. This is not a frequently held ceremony but when it happened, people participated in large numbers and with great devotion. (Photographs and a video recording of the event are available.) A very beautiful commemorative silver coin was issued, with an imprint of Swamiji with folded hands. At the Vidyalaya on the tulabhar day, O.S.Arun sang devotional bhajans.

There was a very festive feeling during the tulabhar day, but during the camp the enthusiasm of the devotees was dampened by Swamiji's ill health. Before coming to Delhi, he had suffered a left ventricular failure in Madras. These failures were happening from Calcutta 1990 onwards and devotees were beginning to get really worried about Swamiji's health. People were restricted from meeting Swamiji except at fixed times. Swamiji often broke the rules and went for two music functions organised by a devotee after the evening bhiksha.

This was the last yagna in Delhi by Swamiji - exactly 38 years since he had his first yagna in Delhi. Between 1953 and 1991, Delhi hosted twenty yagnas of Pujya Gurudev, Swami Chinmayananda. Many eminent people like Swami Ranganathananda, Mr. Morarji Desai, Mr. Gulzarilal Nanda, Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma, Mr. L.K. Advani, Dr. L.M. Singhvi and Dr. Karan Singh inaugurated Swamiji's yagnas. The attendance during these yagnas varied from 3000 to 6000 people depending on the venue and the season. The discourses were usually in a central part of Delhi. Between 1974 and 1983, they were held in Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan with the principal, Dr. M.P. Chhaya, giving his full support.

On February 8, a Bhakti Sandhya was organized at the Siri Fort Auditorium in which Purushottam Jalota and his son Anup Jalota sang bhajans. Asha Nath recited the Bhagawad Geeta before the Jalotas began their concert. The auditorium was jam packed and many people could not get in due to lack of space. Right in the middle of the function, Swamiji - like a music conductor - gave a signal by the hand and the Jalotas softened their bhajans. When Swamiji got up from his chair, only the background music was playing. Then Swamiji explained the story behind a book which he was about to release. The book was produced for Central Chinmaya Mission Trust by Mrs. Anjali Singh. Swamiji said that she had followed him around the world asking him a lot of questions! These tape recorded conversations took place in cars, trains and planes - the only places where he had free time! Hence, the book was titled 'On Wings and Wheels'! Thereafter the bhajans started again and after sometime Swamiji again played the 'conductor'. This time he took off the Rudraksha mala he was wearing and presented it to Purushottam Jalota. Then after a few minutes, he gave the silver platter on which the books had been placed for release, to the young Anoop Jalota. Swamiji then showed the silver scissors, which had been used for cutting the ribbon, to the audience and then he put them in his pocket!

There was a Bhakti Sandhya in October performed by Dr. K.J. Yesudas at the Siri Fort Auditorium. The Vice President of India, Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma, came as the chief guest.

1992. Inspite of ill health, Swamiji came to Delhi on the March 22 for the bhoomi puja of the Chinmaya Centre of World Understanding building, which was about to be constructed. To mark the occasion, Sachin Shanker's dance troupe gave a performance in the evening at the Sir Shankar Lal Auditorium, New Delhi. The next day, a temple art exhibition took place at the site of the Chinmaya Centre of World Understanding and Swamiji enjoyed seeing the various exhibits. A Kathakali ballet by the International Centre for Kathakali, New Delhi, was also performed at the site that day in the holy presence of Swamiji. The nurses that were undergoing training in Sidhbari sang devotional pahari songs during the first half of the programme. They had come especially from Sidhbari.

1993. On March 14, Swamiji came for a dance performance by Nandini Rangan organised by the Mission at the India International Centre. Swamiji stayed with Mrs. Kusum Patel. This was his last official visit to Delhi.

On May 24, Swamiji passed through Delhi on his way to Sidhbari for his last camp there. Swamiji was sick and he stayed in a hotel near the airport in Delhi. In Sidhbari, the last two silver tulabhars in honour of Swamiji during his lifetime, were performed by Delhi devotees. On May 29, Darshan Sharma performed a Tulabhar in Sidhbari. On May 31, Mrs. Janak Kapoor performed the last tulabhar. Many devotees from Delhi were present for both the tulabhars and shared the work like in a yagna. The clothes that Swamiji wore at Darshan's tulabhar, later became the cover design for the book 'Unto Him'.

Swamiji's last stop in Delhi was on June 7 when he was at Delhi airport for two hours en route from Sidhbari to Bombay. Mrs. Sheela Sharma and Mrs. Bindra had brought some snacks for him and he shared it with everyone in the room. It was like the Last Supper. His last words, before being wheeled away into security, were in reply to a question by Mrs. Anjali Singh. He said: "You would have rare photographs to take". He was referring to August 7 due to an earlier conversation.

On August 3 in San Diego, Swamiji shed the burden of his body and the responsibilities of the Chinmaya Mission.

On August 7, Swamiji arrived from the United States in the Mahasamadhi state. His mortal frame, which was in a lotus position, was brought to Delhi exactly 40 years since his first yagna in the city and was placed at the very place where a pratima (statue) of Swamiji now adorns the sanctified spot. On August 7, rare photos indeed were taken of his last journey through the capital city, where thousands queued up to pay their last heartfelt homage. The great master of Vedanta, who had sanctified the capital city of India with his generous flow of knowledge for 40 years and with his holy presence for half a century, was passing through for the very last time. He rested for twelve hours before proceeding to Sidhbari.

He went in glory, in a car bedecked with flowers, devotion and gratitude, mixed with natural sorrow. His car was followed by a convoy of cars and buses that accompanied his mortal frame. This was his last procession, but he was there.

Swami Chinmayananda has left his mark upon history in terms of wisdom, knowledge, dynamism, achievement, self-confidence and a stream of laughter. His life was a continuous flow of go signals, to all the goals he set out to achieve. Whenever he started to do anything, he never had the attitude that it cannot be done. He was a man who spent every moment of his life in the service of mankind. He, himself, was the best example of his teachings. He was the best student any teacher could hope to have, and the best teacher any disciple ever wished for in his dreams. His coffers were always open. Those who availed of them were the lucky ones. Those who did not - well, the house is still open.


Swami Tejomayananda was appointed head of Chinmaya Mission and slipped into his master's shoes with great humility.

The yagna that was to have been taken in October 1993 by Gurudev, at the site of the Chinmaya Centre of World Understanding, was taken instead by Swami Chidananda, who was briefly appointed acharya in Delhi.

Swami Nikhilananda was appointed next as acharya and served the Delhi Mission for six years before being sent in 1999 to the Mission's San Jose centre in the United States.

1994. On February 12, the foundation stone of the Chinmaya Centre of World Understanding was laid by Swami Tejomayananda. The chief guest at the function was the Lt. Governor of Delhi, Mr. P.K. Dave. Seven swamis and many devotees were also present.

A yagna by Swami Tejomayananda was held at the Aiifacs Theatre in October.

A silver tulabhar that had been fixed in Swamiji's time, was performed by Mr. and Mrs. B.M. Patel on November 20 at the site.

1995. The first concrete pouring was done on April 14 with puja. By chance, two swamis from the Divine Life Society were also visiting, and happened to be present at the occasion.

Web master