If you are taking 254 for four units of credit, you must do a project in addition to giving a presentation and doing the two assignments. The project should be at the frontier of current research, but need not necessarily move the frontier forward. Replicating the results of an innovative recent paper would be a good project, for example. Projects must be closely inspired by one or two specific recent high quality papers.
Projects must have an experimental component, but "crass empiricism" is to be avoided. As much as possible, you should use a high-level programming environment such as Matlab. If you do not have access to sufficient computing resources for the projects, contact the instructor immediately.The schedule for the projects is as follows.
(1) On Thursday May 10, you should hand in a project proposal. This should explain explicitly and clearly what you will do. In particular, the proposal should include:
(2) Start work immediately on your project. The first phase of the project is especially important. In this phase, some important tasks include:
(4) On Thursday May 24, you should hand in a progress report.
should be two to three pages long in NIPS format.
(5) On Thursday May 31, you should hand in a draft of your project report. The report should be polished and should resemble a good submission for a machine learning conference. You should follow the NIPS instructions, and pay careful attention to these NIPS paper evaluation criteria and these guidelines. Read, think carefully about, and follow all the principles of good writing in the "Nuts and Bolts" guide to rhetoric by Michael Harvey.
(6) On Thursday June 7, you should hand in the final version of your project report. This will be graded following a revised version of these grading criteria. Perfect academic honesty is required. Note: The NIPS 2007 submission deadline is June 8. If your report is very good, you may consider submitting it to NIPS.The final version of your report should be a PDF file in NIPS format that is under one megabyte. Avoid these common formatting mistakes. To maximize the readability of your paper, and to minimize the size of the PDF file, make sure that you use only standard fonts. Also provide an ascii abstract of your report that follows the guidelines here and is 150 to 200 words long.
You are expected to spend about ten hours per week on the 254 project,
i.e. about 50 hours in total. If you are spending much less
you are not putting in the effort of a full-time student and getting a
good grade will be difficult. If you are spending much more time,
you should think more about efficiency and prioritization.While doing the project, remember that winning at research is
to winning in many other fields of endeavor.
||It Takes Soup
And a Dream
(Newsweek, March 26, 2001, page 8.)
Susan Runkle isn't just M'm! M'm! Good! She's the M'm! M'm! Best! Her Polynesian pork chops have been named a new Campbell's classic, an honor worth $20,000. Peri asked Runkle to dish on how to win a cooking contest: