University of California, San Diego
- CK Cheng, CSE2130, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 858 534-6184
- Lectures: 2:00-3:20PM, TTH, Room WLH2112 (Note that the room changed from DIB)
- 1. Computational Methods in Circuit Simulation, I.N. Hajj, 2016.
- 2. Circuit Simulation, F.N. Najm, Wiley, 2010.
- 3. Electronic Circuit and System Simulation Methods, T.L. Pillage, R.A. Rohrer, C. Visweswariah, McGraw-Hill, 1998
- 4. Interconnect Analysis and Synthesis, CK Cheng, J. Lillis, S.Lin and N. Chang, John Wiley, 2000
- 5. Computer-Aided Analysis of Electronic Circuits, L.O. Chua and P.M. Lin, Prentice Hall, 1975
- 6. Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing, Third Edition, W.H. Press, S.A. Teukolsky, W.T. Vetterling, and B.P. Flannery, Cambridge University Press, 2007.
Notes and Papers
- 1. Introduction
2. Problem Formulations: circuit topology, network regularization
- Lecture 2: State Equations pptx, pdf,
- 2.1 Basic elements, 2.1.1 forward integration model, 2.1.2 backward integration model, 2.1.3 trapezoidal integration model, 2.2 Topology, 2.2.1 tree trunks and links, 2.2.2 incidence matrix.
3. Analytical Solutions
- 3.1 Time domain solutions, 3.1.1 Exponential functions, 3.1.2 Differential functions of inputs, 3.2 Frequency domain solutions, 3.2.1 Laplace transform, 3.2.2 Expansion when s->inf, 3.2.3 Expansion when s->0, 3.2.4 Moments, 3.2.5 Elmore delay model.
- Reading assignment: Ref. 1: Chapter 10; or Ref 3: Chapter 6.
4. Linear Circuits: matrix solvers, explicit and implicit integrations, matrix exponential methods, convergence
- Lecture 3: Iterative Matrix Solver I , pdf; Lecture 3: Iterative Matrix Solver II , pdf. Lecture 3.1: Sparse Direct Method by Sherry Li, pdf.
- Lecture: Model Order Reduction I, pdf;
- Lecture: Model Order Reduction II, pdf;
- Reading assignment: Ref. 1: Chapters 3-5; Ref. 2: Chapter 3, or Ref 3: Chapters 3, 7.
- Lecture 4: Numerical Integration , pdf,
- Integration II, pdf,
- Reading assignment: Ref. 1: Chapter 8; Ref. 2: Chapter 5, or Ref 3: Chapters 4, 5.
- Lecture 4.1: Matrix Exponential Operators,
- Matrix Exponential by S.H. Weng .
5. Nonlinear Circuits: X Parameters 6. Nonlinear Systems: Newton-Raphson method, Nesterov methods, homotopy methods 7. Sensitivity Analysis: direct method, adjoint network approach ========= the following will be posted ============ 8. Various Simulation Approaches: FDM, FEM, BEM, multipole methods, Monte Carlo, random walks 9. Multiple Dimensional Anlaysis: 10. Applications: power distribution networks, IO circuits, full wave analysis.
Group discussion for homeworks is highly recommended. However, use different circuits (when needed) to demonstrate your (team's) cases.
- HW1: Introduction and Formulation, Due Wednesday 4/26/2023, pdf, tex.
- HW2: Solutions, Moments, and Conjugate Gradient, Due Wednesday 5/17/2023, pdf, tex.
- HW3: .