Components and Design Techniques for Digital Systems
University of California, San Diego
Textbook and Outlines
- Objective of this course is to introduce digital components and digital systems designs.
Lecture and Discussion Schedule
- Digital Design and Computer Architecture, David Money Harris and Sarah L. Harris, published by Morgan Kaufmann, Second Edition 2012
- Outlines (Use index to check the location of the textbook)
- Lectures: Ledden Audotorium (starting from Wed Nov. 7), 3:00-3:50PM MWF.
- Discussion: Center Hall 101, 9:00-9:50AM F.
- Extra Discussion: Center Hall 115, 1:00-2:50PM, Saturday (10/20).
- Discussion Forum on WebCT: http://webct.ucsd.edu.
- Extra Discussion: WLH 2005, 1:00-3:00PM, Sunday (11/11).
- Extra Discussion: Center 115, 5:00-6:50PM, Tuesday (12/4).
- CK Cheng, CSE2130, email@example.com, 858 534-6184
- Office hour.: 10:30-11:30AM T, CSE2130.
- Office hour.: 1:00-2:00PM W, CSE2130.
- Extra Office hour: 3:00-4:00PM Saturday (10/20).
- No Office hours on 10/23, 10/24.
- Extra Office hours: 12:30-1:30PM Th(12/6); 11-12PM F(12/7).
- Shih-Hung Weng, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office hours: 10:00-11:30AM M, CSE B260A.
- Office hours: 2:00-3:30PM Th, CSE B260A.
- Extra office hours: 11:30AM-1:00PM Monday (10/22), CSE B260A.
- No office hours on 11/5, 11/8.
- Extra office hours: 4:00PM-5:00PM Tuesday (11/13), CSE B260A.
- Extra office hours: 10:30AM-12:00PM Wednesday (12/5), CSE B260A.
- Extra office hours: 3:30PM-5:00PM Thursday (12/6), CSE 2109.
- Jyoti Wadhwani, email@example.com
- Office hours: 9:00-10:30AM W, CSE B260A.
- Office hours: 5:30-7:00PM F, CSE B260A.
- No office hours on 11/9 (Friday).
- Extra office hours: 2:00-5:00PM on 11/10 (Saturday), CSE B260A.
- Extra office hours: 5:00PM-6:30PM Wednesday (12/5), CSE B260A.
- Extra office hours: 10:00AM-11:00AM Friday (12/7), CSE B260A.
- Yixin Zhu
- Office hours: 12:30-2:30PM M, CSE B230.
- To improve the class and prepare for Midterm 2, please provide your INPUTS before Monday 11/5
- Comments and Responses on iClicker docx, pdf
- Comments and Responses on Lectures docx, pdf
- Comments and Responses on Class and Contents docx, pdf
- CAPE and TA/Tutor Evaluation
Homeworks and Solutions
- Lecture 1: Introduction ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 2: Combinational Logic ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 3: Combinational Logic: Implementation ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 4: Combinational Logic: K Maps ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 5: Combinational Logic: Implementation in the Format of Product-of-Sums ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 6: Combinational Logic: Other Types of Gates ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 8: Sequential Network: Introduction ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 9: Sequential Network: Spec. and Implementation ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 10: Sequential Network: Implementation ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 11: Sequential Network: Timing (Skip for now)
- Lecture 12: Standard Modules: Decoder and Encoder ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 13: Standard Modules: Multiplexer and Demultiplexer ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 14: Standard Modules: Adders, Shifters, and etc. ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 15: System Designs: Introduction ppt, pdf.
- Lecture 16: System Designs: Process and Example ppt, pdf.
- Homework 1, Solution, due 10/10 before the class.
- Homework 2, Solution, due date was set to 10/17, but is now changed to 10/19 before the class.
- Homework 3, Solution (Corrected), due 11/7 before the class.
- Exercise 4, Solution (Corrected), no due date.
- Question 4 will not be covered in midterm 2.
- Homework 5, Solution (Corrected), due 11/28.
- Exercise 6, Solution (Corrected), no due date.
- iClicker: 5% (Registration on Ted)
- CK Cheng Office Hr. visits: 2% bonus
- Homeworks: 10%
- Midterm 1: 25% (M 10/22) Room Assignment: A-H Center Hall 113, I-Z Center Hall 115
- Score range=23-100, average=76.49, deviation=16.65
- Midterm 2: 30% (W 11/14)
- Score range=18-100, average=79.68, deviation=18.47
- Midterm 3: 30% (F 12/07)
- Optional take home final exam, 1% bonus.
- Final.pdf due 6PM, F. 12/14.
- Hardcopy to room CSE2130 or Softcopy to email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please name your file as YourLastName_YourFirstName_YourStudentID.pdf