CSE 107: Course Notes
Comments or corrections on these notes are welcome. Please email me. If
a link below fails, it is because the corresponding item (notes or slides)
does not exist.
The course syllabus centers around what is covered in lectures. In many cases,
the notes include more material than this. Specifically:
- Chapter 3: You can skip the specifics of the design of AES. (But you do
need to know what AES is, what are its parameters, and what we know or believe
about its security, since AES will often be used as a tool to build other
- Chapter 4: You can skip Sections 4.2.2 and 4.4.
- Chapter 5: You can skip Sections 5.6, 5.7.1, 5.7.2, 5.9 and 5.10.
- Chapter 6: You can ignore anything related to the cr0 and cr1 notions;
we are only concerned with cr2, which we call collision-resistance.
- Chapter 11: You can skip Sections 11.2.2, 11.3, the proof of Theorem
11.6, and Theorem 11.7 and its proof.
- Chapter 12: You can skip Sections 12.3.5 and 12.3.6.