I am a fifth year PhD student with involvement spanning the AI, Systems & Networking, and Security groups. My advisors are Lawrence Saul, Geoff Voelker, and Stefan Savage. My research focuses on machine learning and applications to security --- in particular, Web page clustering and classification.
In Summer Session II of 2014, I taught CSE 150.
In June 2014, I proposed my thesis and became a candidate (CPhil). Graduating September 2015?
In March 2013, I received an MS in computer science.
In the summers of 2011 and 2012, I interned at Google at the San Francisco office. I worked in Internal Privacy under Ian Roxborough.
In May 2010 I graduated with a BS in computer science and mathematics from the University of Richmond, where I had the fine opportunity of working with Jim Davis and Barry Lawson, the former a top-drawer squash and bridge player, the latter a wizard on the mandolin. In Spring 2009 I studied abroad at Macquarie University and had the time of my life in Sydney, Australia (+ New Zealand + Fiji).
D. Wang, M. F. Der, M. Karami, L. K. Saul, D. McCoy, S. Savage, G. M. Voelker. Search + Seizure: The Effectiveness of Interventions on SEO Campaigns. IMC 2014, Vancouver, BC, Canada. [paper]
M. F. Der, L. K. Saul, S. Savage, G. M. Voelker. Knock It Off: Profiling the Online Storefronts of Counterfeit Merchandise. KDD 2014, New York City. [paper] [poster]
D. Kim, M. F. Der, L. K. Saul. A Gaussian Latent Variable Model for Large Margin Classification of Labeled and Unlabeled Data. AISTATS 2014, Reykjavik, Iceland. [paper] [supplement] [project]
M. F. Der, L. K. Saul. Latent Coincidence Analysis: A Hidden Variable Model for Distance Metric Learning. NIPS 2012, Lake Tahoe, NV. [paper] [poster]
C. Bodea, C. Copos, M. Der, D. O'Neal, J. A. Davis. Shared Autocorrelation Property of Sequences. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 57, No. 6, 3805-3809, June 2011. [paper]
- My family
- Stone is coming to my hometown: Richmond, VA!
- Soccer Without Limits, soccer content platform and fantasy game
- Dr. Bryan Der, postdoc @ MIT (computer-aided design of digital logic circuits in living cells); PhD in biochemistry & biophysics from UNC Chapel Hill (computational design of protein-protein interactions)
- Sarah Der Photography and we are the ders
- The Thomas Dale Knights varsity boys soccer team won back-to-back Virginia State AAA championships in 2005 and 2006, with a combined record of 48-0. We set several state records and were ranked #1 in the nation after both seasons.