SDSC 308(elfbin) or EBU3b 4240
kbenson [at] cs [dot] ucsd [dot] edu
I am a Computer Science PhD student at UCSD. I'm interested in networks, algorithms, and security. My current research involves the network telescope at CAIDA. I work with Alberto Dainotti, kc claffy and Alex Snoeren.
Prior to UCSD, I worked at the Army Research Laboratory. I completed my Masters in Security Informatics and Computer Science at The Johns Hopkins University, where I worked with Giuseppe Ateniese and Susan Hohenberger. I received my Bachelors degree in Computer Science from Wellesley College.
I am a National Physical Science Consortium Fellow.
Besides computer science, I also enjoy long distance running and playing field hockey.
- Karyn Benson, Alberto Dainotti, kc claffy, Alex C. Snoeren, Michael Kallitsis. Leveraging Internet Background Radiation for Opportunistic Network Analysis. Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Oct 2015. (paper)
- Alberto Dainotti, Karyn Benson, Alistair King, kc claffy, Michael Kallitsis, Eduard Glatz, Xenofontas Dimitropoulos. Estimating Internet Address Space Usage through Passive
Measurements. ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review (CCR), vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 42--49, Jan 2014. (paper)
- Karyn Benson, Alberto Dainotti, kc claffy, and Emile Aben. Gaining Insight into AS-level Outages through Analysis of Internet Background Radiation. Traffic Monitoring and Analysis Workshop (TMA) 2013. (pdf).
CoNEXT Student Workshop 2012. (poster).
- Karyn Benson, Rafael Dowsley, and Hovav Shacham. Do You Know Where Your Cloud Files Are? In T. Ristenpart and C. Cachin, eds., Proceedings of CCSW 2011. ACM Press, Oct. 2011. (pdf)
Crypto and Algorithms
- Karyn Benson and Manuel Cebrian. Searching with Cooperators. Chaos, Solitons & Fractals: Collective Behavior and Evolutionary Games, 56:45-52, 2013. (paper)
- Karyn Benson, Hovav Shacham, and Brent Waters. The k-BDH Assumption Family: Bilinear Map Cryptography from Progressively Weaker Assumptions. Topics in Cryptology - CT-RSA 2013. (eprint).
- Giuseppe Ateniese, Karyn Benson, and Susan Hohenberger. Key-Private Proxy Re-Encryption. Topics in Cryptology - CT-RSA, 2009. (eprint)
- Karyn Benson and Lisa Marvel. Using Adaptive Lossless Compression to Characterize Network Traffic. CISS 2009 (pdf)
- Karyn Benson, Benjamin Birnbaum, Esteban Molina-Estolano, and Ran Libeskind-Hadas. Competitive Analysis of On-line Traffic Grooming in WDM Rings. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networks, 16(4):984-997, 2008. (pdf)