Semantic Web Technology and
There is no doubt that the web is a great thing.
And little doubt that XLM is going to be very useful for some applications.
But there is a lot of doubt and confusion about semantics for the web.
More information on some of these topics can be found on the SEEK project page.
- XML, DDL, schemas, etc. emerging and promising.
- Ontologies are much hyped, but few useful examples exist.
- KIF, Ontolingua, Flora, RDF, Owl, etc. are poorly understood and very
- Moreover, there are great differences among them!
- Workflow and workflow languages (WSDL, etc.) are another promising
technology, but are definitely heavyweight.
- Intended for long term, stable, heavily used applications, especially
e-commerce, i.e., for interconnecting rugged, high volume, stainless steel
- Very different from the light weight Perl duct tape approach.
Maintained by Joseph Goguen
Last modified: Wed Jan 29 19:12:58 PST 2003