Multidisciplinary and Multiperspectival
This talk will be very informal, since much of the detailed work has not yet
been done, although much high level logical and conceptual work has been done.
It may seem like I am contradicting myself at times - but that is the
nature of such a research approach.
The following are some points of motivation for the approach to be
- Evolution of computer science from machine oriented, to user oriented, to
parallel to evolution from mainframe, to PC, to LAN,
WAN, internet and web.
- Failures and Scandals: AI Winter, Fifth Generation, dot com meltdown,
Denver airport (delayed 2 years by bad software for the baggage system), and
- Most large software systems are either not used or abandoned before
- Others have huge cost overruns.
- But why? Who are the users?
- Ethnography of Technology; Sociology of Science and
- The next step: values, and value-centered design?
Potential to unify and extend prior research methods.
- Case studies: mathematical notation, DB interfaces, scientific
visualization, requirements for small company, air crew communication.
Maintained by Joseph Goguen
Last modified: Wed Jan 29 19:02:25 PST 2003