Ethnography of a Science
Based on past experience, but will be done carefully in future.
- Essential to know what users really do, and why they do it.
- Very ad hoc integration and analysis, software used once and thrown away.
Usually done by grad students and post docs.
- Labor intensive and slow.
- Complex integration tasks beyond most scientists, hard even for IT
- Analysis by statistical packages, old FORTRAN programs, maybe some new ad
- Data may be from web services, but more likely from formatted ascii
files or spreadsheets, especially for intermediate results.
- Perl (or Python) scripts for re-formatting and collating data: the
"duct tape of the internet".
- Light weight!
Maintained by Joseph Goguen
Last modified: Wed Jan 29 15:25:35 PST 2003