Gilles Fauconnier Visit
This is an outline of possible discussion topics for a visit of Prof
Gilles Fauconnier to the UCSD Meaning and
Computation Lab, 19 and 26 May 2004.
- Overview of Projects in some way related to blending,
conceptual spaces, metaphor, etc.
- User interface design and representation (see
CSE 271, CSE 171). Fox Harrell and Abbie
- Data integration (with schema, ontology, logic integration). Jenny
- New media, active media, interactive media; style. (see CSE 87C). Fox Harrell.
- Free jazz group improvisation, structure of music; consciousness (models
of human interaction, understanding and learning). David Borgo [music].
- Confluence in term rewriting theory. Monica Marcus.
- Hierarchical, structural information theory. Schlomo Dubnov [music].
- Philosophy of Computation: What is information? Limitations of the
- Examples and Issues:
- Examples: window & scrollbar and date & time of day as blends; as
representation problems; clocks as a refinement problem.
- Issues: Dynamics, structure, mathematical theory, typing, quality of
representation, conceptual spaces as special case.
- Theory: semiotic spaces, semiotic morphisms, quality orderings, lax
colimit (non-unique), refinement of semiotic theories; optimality criteria
for blends need to be formal (commutativity, type casting).
- Tools: SCIA for database schema integration; blending algorithm.
- Blending and Arts:
- Active poetry, interactive poetry, using blending algorithm.
- Personification as type casting (e.g. the boathouse blend).
- Dis-optimization in Neruda and other creative poetry.
- Labov narrative structure as blending; syntax as blending.
- Domains vs. spaces.
- History file.
- Dynamical systems theory as critical language, based on minimum
complexity with anticipation as a potential function using blending for
structure. Applications to free jazz. Ryoko Goguen
- Generalization to consciousness; theory of qualia.
- Potential problems with semantic web, e.g., see Workshop on Cognitive
Semantics and Ontologies, organized by Werner Kuhn, at FOIS04.
- What is information?
To my homepage
Maintained by Joseph Goguen
Last modified: Wed May 19 19:29:04 PDT 2004