CSE 87C: Computational Narratology
- Due Week 2:
- The Literary Mind, Mark Turner, pages 3-9.
- Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand, Samuel R. Delany.
Prologue, pages 42-48.
- Hotline Healers, Gerald Vizenor, pages 4-5.
- Due Week 3:
- Notes on narrative, Joseph
- "Myth Today," in Mythologies, Roland Barthes.
- Nova Express, William Burroughs, "The Death Dwarf in the Street,"
- Due Week 4:
- Notes on Basic Semiotics, by Joseph
Goguen (in CSE 171 class notes).
- More than Cool Reason, George Lakoff and Mark Turner, Preface,
- Reread "Myth Today" (as above).
- Barthes, Chapter 3, pages 16-25.
- What is a Game?, by Fox Harrell.
- Due Week 5:
- Understanding Comics, Scott McCloud. Chapter 4.
- Barthes, Chapter 5, pages 34-42.
- "The Cut Up Method of Brion Gysin," William S. Burroughs, 1961, in New
Media Reader, Noah Wardrip-Fruin and Nick Montfort, MIT.
- Due Week 6:
- Barthes, Chapter 6, pages 43-51.
- "The Garden of Forking Paths", Jorge Luis Borges, 1941, in New Media
Reader (as above).
- Optional: Speaking in Djinn by Fox
- Due Week 7:
- Due Week 8:
- Barthes, Chapter 9, only pages 73-74 on hypertext.
- "The recombinant history apparatus presents: Terminal Time", S. Domike,
Michael Mateas, and P. Vanouse. In Narrative Intelligence, Michael
Mateas and Phoebe Sengers (eds).
- Due Week 9:
- Week 10:
- Presentation of student projects.
To CSE 87C
Maintained by Joseph Goguen
© 2004 Joseph Goguen, all rights reserved
Last modified: Wed Mar 3 13:20:31 PST 2004