CSE 271: User Interface Design: Social and
Some people have told me that they can't print the papers that
are gziped in postscript. I don't know why, but anyway I will bring some
hardcopies to class; ask me if you need something.
- Due 11 March: the "Afterword" of Shneiderman; read Gradient Logic by Joseph Goguen; reread Semiotic Morphisms, especially the discussion
and examples of blending; and read What is a proof? by Joseph
- Due 4 March: chapter 7 and the Epilogue of Latour; Multimedia phase
spaces, by Peter Bogh Andersen (handed out in class 25 Feb); and
reread pages 1-6 and appendix D of Semiotic
Morphisms, especially definitions 1,2,3 and their motivation.
- Due 25 February: chapter 6 of Latour; chapter 15 of Shneiderman; Answer
Garden 2:Merging Organizational Memory with Collaborative Help by Mark Ackerman; and reread pages
1-6 and appendix D of Semiotic
- Due 18 February: chapter 5 of Latour; pages 1-6 and appendix D of Semiotic Morphisms by Joseph Goguen;
chapter 16 of Shneiderman (on the web); and the first, second and fifth
exhibits of the UCSD Semiotic Zoo (Confused Orderings,
Twisted Syntax, and Confused Applet) with their explanations.
- Due 11 February: On Notation
by Joseph Goguen, an introduction to some ideas of Peircean semiotics with
illustrations from computer science and mathematics; chapter 4 of Latour;
chapter 14 of Shneiderman (a short chapter on CSCW); and reread the Ackerman piece.
- Due 4 February: Agents of
Alienation by Jaron Lanier; Techniques for Requirements Elicitation
by Joseph Goguen and Charlotte Linde; chapter 3 of Latour; chapter 6 of
Shneiderman; and reread the Ackerman piece.
(Sorry for the large number of pages this week; it is exceptional.)
- Due 28 January: chapters 4,5 of Shneiderman, chapter 2 of Latour, and
reread the Ackerman piece.
- Due 21 January: Communication and
Collaboration from a CSCW Perspective by Mark Ackerman; Preliminary Webbing Notes by Joseph Goguen; Art and the Zen of Web Sites by Tony Karp;
chapter 3 of Shneiderman; and chapter 1 of Aramis, by Bruno Latour.
- Due 14 January: chapters 1 and 2 of Shneiderman.
To CSE 271 homepage
To my homepage
5 March 1998