Deborah Ellen Goshorn
Deborah Goshorn has been an engineer and scientist for the US Navy for the past six years. Deborah spent four years at SPAWAR Systems Center Pacific as an engineer and computer scientist for various projects including DSP rapid prototyping for mitigating interference in various SATCOMs and statistical analysis for serially correlated time series data and artificial intelligence systems. Deborah spent this year as a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Information Sciences at Naval Postgraduate School, as Chief Engineer of the USMC sponsored RapidPro VIRT effort. The previous two year, Deborah spent as a Faculty Research Associate in Modeling Virtual Environments Simulation (MOVES) Institute at Naval Postgraudate School, researching computer vision techniques for US Militatry systems that require posture recognitions and sequential, syntactical models for posture recognition error recovery. Deborah is an instructor for courses in Systems Engineering at Naval Postgraduate School. Deborah is also Adjunct Faculty at Monterey Peninsula College in Statistics. Deborah, as a SMART scholar, completed her PhD in Computer Science from University of California, San Diego spring 2010 with her dissertation title, The Systems Engineering of a Net-Centric Distributed Intelligent System of Systems for Robust Human Behavior Classification. Deborah also has her MS in Statistics, MEng in Electrical and Computer Engineering, BS in Computer Engineering, and BA in Applied Mathematics, all from UCSD.
UCSD Co-Advisors :
- Professor Ryan Kastner, Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) Department
- Professor Kenneth Kreutz-Delgado, Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) Department
My Offical NPS Vita
Resume and Coursework
My PhD Research
Current Classes Teaching at MPC
Other Interesting Links
Ph.D. Computer Science, UCSD Spring 2010
C.Phil. Computer Science, UCSD Spring 2009
M.S. Statistics, UCSD Fall 2007
M.Eng Electrical Engineering, UCSD June 2006
B.S. Computer Engineering, UCSD June 2004
B.A. Applied Mathematics, UCSD June 2004
* formerly PhD student in Mathematics, UCSD; achieved PhD qualifying exams in Statistics, Applied Algebra, & Complex Analysis
2008 - Present     Naval Postgraduate School (NPS)   Monterey, CA
2008 - Present     Monterey Peninsula College (MPC)   Monterey, CA
2004 - 2008     SPAWAR Systems Center, San Diego   San Diego, CA
- 2010 - Present Faculty Research Assistant Professor, Department of Information Sciences, and Chief Engineer, Sensor Integration and Fusion of RapidPro VIRT Project
- 2008 - 2010 Faculty Research Associate, Computer Scientist in the Computer Vision Lab in Computer Science Department / Modeling, Virtual Environments and Simulation Institute (MOVES) Institute at NPS (part time employment in concert with Navy SMART Scholarship)
- 2007-2008 Computer Scientist and Engineer (Navy Civilian at SPAWAR)
- 2004-2007 Engineer & Data Analyst (Contractor to SPAWAR via SDSU Research Foundation)
Instructor, Elementary Statistics, Monterey Peninsula College (MPC), Spring 2009, Spring 2009, Fall 2010, Spring 2010
- Instructor, Beginning Algebra , Monterey Peninsula College (MPC), Fall 2010, Spring 2010
- Co-Instructor, Capabilities Engineering , Naval Postgraduate School, Summer 2009
- Co-Instructor, Fundamentals of Systems Engineering , Naval Postgraduate School, Spring 2009
- Co-Instructor, Artificial Intelligence Systems Engineering II, Naval Postgraduate School, Winter 2009
- Co-Instructor Artificial Intelligence Systems Engineering I, Naval Postgraduate School, Fall 2008
- Teacher Assistant Computational Statistics in Computer Science, CSE 190, UCSD, Winter 2007
- Teacher Assistant, Intro to Differential Equations, Math 20D, UCSD, Winter 2007
- Teacher Assistant, Intro to Differential Equations, Math 20D, UCSD, Fall 2006
- Lecturer, Pattern Analysis Seminar at SPAWAR Systems Center, San Diego, 2006
(last updated Summer 2009)
Deborah Goshorn, Rachel Goshorn, Joshua Goshorn, Lawrence Goshorn. Abnormal Behavior Classification and Alerting through Detection, Identification, Prediction and Reactioin (DIPR) System Applied to a Multi-Camera Network. Workshop on Behavior Monitoring and Interpretation: Moving Objects in a Three Dimensional World, November 2009 (submitted)
Juan Wachs, Mathias Kolsch, Deborah Goshorn Human Posture Detection for Intelligent Vehicles. Journal of real-time image processing - Special Issue on Real-Time Vision-Based Motion Analysis and Intelligent Transportation Systems, Springer 2009 (submited)
Deborah Goshorn, Juan Wachs, Mathias Kolsch The Multi-Level Learning and Classification of Multi-class Parts-based Representations of US Marine Postures. Iberoamerican Congress on Pattern Recognition (CIARP2009) Mexico, November 2009 (submitted)
Deborah Goshorn, Junguk Cho, Mathias Kolsch, Rachel Goshorn, Ryan Kastner Multiview Posture Recognition on FPGAs for Enabling Smart Homes International Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras (ICDSC-09) Como, Italy, Aug/Sep 2009 (submitted)
Joshua Goshorn, Deborah Goshorn, Rachel Goshorn, Lawrence Goshorn Embedded Architecture Model for Intelligent Sensor Network with Applications to Vision Utilizing Multi-Core DSP Platforms. International Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras (ICDSC-09) Como, Italy, Aug/Sep 2009 (submitted)
Juan Wachs, Deborah Goshorn, Mathias Kolsch. Recognizing Human Postures and Poses in Monocular Still Images. International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision, and Signal Processing. (IPCV09) Las Vegas, Nevada. July 2009.
Bridget Benson, Junguk Cho, Deborah Goshorn, Mathias Kolsch. Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) Based Fish Detection Using Haar Classifiers. American Association of Underwater Sciences Symposium. March 2009.
Deborah Goshorn Turbocharging Detection Classifier Statistics Jacobs School of Engineering Research Expo. UCSD. February 2009.
Deborah Goshorn The Enhancement of Low-Level Classifications in Sequential Syntactic High-Level Classifiers Compuer Science PhD Research Exam, UCSD. August 2008.
Rachel E. Goshorn, Deborah E. Goshorn, Joshua L. Goshorn, and Lawrence A. Goshorn Behavior Modeling for Detection, Identification, Prediction, and Reactio (DIPR) in AI Systems Solutions Handbook book chapter for Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments (JAISE) ISSN: 1876-1364 --- IOS Press
Rachel Goshorn, Deborah Goshorn, Joshua Goshorn, and Lawrence Goshorn Abnormal Behavior-Detection Using Sequential Syntactical Classification in a Network of Clustered Cameras. 2nd ACM/IEEE Internatioal Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras (ICDSC-08) Stanford, California, Septmember 2008
Rachel Goshorn, Deborah Goshorn, and Mathias Kolsch The Enhancement of Low-Level Classifications for Ambient Assisted Living. 2nd Workshop on Behavior Monitoring and Interpretation, BMI'08, colocated with the German Conference on AI 2008, Kaiserslautern, Germany, 2008
Rachel Goshorn, Deborah Goshorn, Vision-Based Syntactical Classification of Hand Gestures to Enable Robust Human Computer Interaction, 3rd Workshop on Artificial Intelligence Technologies for Ambient Intelligence (AITAmI'08), colocated with the 18th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI08) Patras, Greece , July 2008
Deborah Goshorn Learning the Time-Delay Manifold for Robust Speaker Localization. International Conference on Applications in Nonlinear Dynamics (ICAND'07), poster session Poipu Beach, Koloa, Kauai September 2007
Evan Ettinger, Shankar Shivappa, Deborah Goshorn, and Yoav Freund. Learning the Time-Delay Manifold for Robust Speaker Localization. UCSD Technical Report, December 2007
Rachel Goshorn, Joshua Goshorn, Deborah Goshorn, Hamid Aghajan, Architecture for Clusterbased Automated Surveillance Networks for Detecting and Tracking Multiple Persons, 1st ACM/IEEE International Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras (ICDSC-07) Vienna, Austria.
Rachel Goshorn, Deborah Goshorn, Using a TI C6701 DSP Rapid Prototyping System for Nonlinear Adaptive Filtering to Mitigate Interference. Device Applications of NonLinear Dynamics (DANOLD) Conference, Catania, Italy. 2-6 October 2005.
Deborah Goshorn, Mitigation of Narrowband Interference in UHF Satellite Communications
using DSP Rapid Prototype Naval-Industry R&D Partnership Conference, Poster Session, Washington D.C., August 2004
- Some precious poems by my sister Esther: