Introduction and Packet Switched Networks
- Mar 30: P&D, Chapter 1.
- Apr 1: P&D: Chapter 2.
Saltzer, Reed, and Clark, End-to-end Arguments in System Design. ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, 1984.
- Apr 6: P&D, Chapter 3.
Cerf and Kahn, A Protocol for Packet Network Intercommunication.
- Apr 8: Newman, Minshall, and
Switching: ATM Under IP. IEEE/ACM Transactions on
- Apr 13: P&D, Chapter 4.
Wetherall, Active Network Vision and Reality: Lessons from a Capsule-based System. Proceedings of ACM SOSP, 1999.
Due: Submit your research project interests.
- Apr 15: Teemu Koponen, Mohit Chawla, Byung-Gon Chun, Andrey Ermolinskiy, Kye Hyun Kim, Scott Shenker, and Ion Stoica, A Data-Oriented (And Beyond) Network Architecture. Proceedings of AACM SIGCOMM, 2007.
Due: Web server assignment (part 1)
Due: Submit your project group info.
- Apr 20: No paper eval due.
- Apr 22: Labovitz, Ahuja,
An Experimental Study of Delayed Internet Routing
Convergence. Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM, 2000.
Due: Project proposals due.
- Apr 27: No paper eval due.
Due: Web server assignment (part 2)
- Apr 29: to be made up
- May 4: k claffy guest lecture.
P&D, Chapter 5, 6.
Please watch http://cenic2010.cenic.org/stream/regency/Cenic-20100309-110644-021.mp4 and the read the blog entry http://billstarnaud.blogspot.com/2010/03/85-of-research-computing-can-be-done.html. Now, watch http://www.isoc-ny.org/?p=1338. Summarize the main points of each talk and what the points of disagreement are. How would you like to (or can you?) see them resolved in the real world, or in future network architectures?
Data Center Networks
- May 6: Mihai Dobrescu, Norbert Egi, Katerina Argyraki, Byung-Gon Chun, Kevin Fall, Gianluca Iannaccone, Allan Knies, Maziar Manesh, Sylvia Ratnasamy, RouteBricks: Exploiting Parallelism to Scale Software Routers. Proceedings of ACM SOSP, 2009.
Casado et al., Ethane: Taking Control of the Enterprise.
- May 11: Al-Fares et al., A Scalable, Commodity, Data Center Network Architecture
- May 13: Kim et al., Floodless in SEATTLE: A Scalable Ethernet Architecture for Large Enterprises
Barroso, Web Search for a Planet: The Google Cluster Architecture
Due: Project Checkpoint 1
- May 18: Brakmo and Peterson,
Vegas: End to End Congestion Avoidance on a Global
Internet. IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in
- May 20: Katabi, Handley, and
Congestion Control for Future High Bandwidth-Delay
Product Environments. Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM,
Rhee et al., CUBIC: A New TCP-Friendly High-Speed TCP Variant
- May 25: Kohler et al., Designing DCCP: Congestion Control Without Reliability
Due: Project Checkpoint 2
Overlays and Multicast
- May 27: Stoica, Morris,
Karger, Kaashoek, Balakrishnan ,
Chord: A Scalable Peer-To-Peer Lookup Service for
Internet Applications. Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM,
- Jun 1: Ratnasamy et al., Revisiting IP Multicast
- Jun 3: Midterm.
Additional ReadingsCaesar and Rexford, BGP Routing Policies in ISP Networks.