- E. W. Dijkstra, The Structure of the 'THE'-Multiprogramming System,
Communications of the ACM, Vol. 11, No. 5, May 1968, pp. 341-346.
- P. B. Hansen, The Nucleus of a Multiprogramming System,
Communications of the ACM, Vol. 13, No. 4, April 1970, pp. 238-241,
- D. G. Bobrow, J. D. Burchfiel, D. L. Murphy, and R. S. Tomlinson,
TENEX, a Paged Time Sharing System for the PDP-10, Communications of
the ACM, Vol. 15, No. 3, March 1972, pp. 135-143.
- W. Wulf, E. Cohen, W. Corwin, A. Jones, R. Levin, C. Pierson, and
F. Pollack, HYDRA: The Kernel of a Multiprocessor Operating System,
Communications of the ACM, Vol. 17, No. 6, June 1974, pp. 337-345.
- No class (Instructor out of town.)
- J. H. Saltzer, Protection and the Control of Information
Sharing in Multics, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 17, No. 7, July 1974,
- B. Lampson,
Systems Review, Vol. 8, No. 1, January 1974, pp. 18-24.
- D. M. Ritchie and K. Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System,
Communications of the ACM, Vol. 17, No. 7, July 1974, pp. 365-375.
- J. K. Ousterhout, D. A. Scelza, and P. S. Sindhu, Medusa: An Experiment in Distributed Operating Systems Structure, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 23, No. 2, February 1980, pp. 92-105.
- R. F. Rashid and G. G. Robertson, Accent: A communication oriented network operating system
kernel, Proc. Eighth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles
(SOSP), Pacific Grove, CA, 1981, pp. 64-75.
- M. Accetta et al., Mach: A new
kernel foundation for UNIX development, Proc. USENIX Summer
Conference, Atlanta, GA, 1986, pp. 93-112.
- No class (Instructor out of town.)
- B. W. Lampson and D. D. Redell, Experience
with Processes and Monitors in Mesa, Communications of the ACM,
Vol. 23, No. 2, February 1980, pp. 105-117.
- H. C. Lauer and R. M. Needham, On the
Duality of Operating System Structures, Proc. Second International
Symposium on Operating Systems, IR1A, Oct. 1978 (reprinted in
Operating Systems Review, Vol. 13, No. 2, April 1979, pp. 3-19).
| OS/Architecture Interaction
- H. Haertig, M. Hohmuth, J. Liedtke, S. Schoenberg, J. Wolter,
"The Performance of Micro-Kernel- Based Systems," Proceedings
of the 16th Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, October 1997, pp. 66-77.
- M. F. Kaashoek, D. R. Engler, G. R. Ganger, H. M. Briceno, R. Hunt, D. Mazieres, T. Pinckney, R. Grimm, J. Jannotti and K. Machkenzie, "Application Performance and Flexibility on Exokernel Systems." In Proceedings of the Fifteenth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, October 1997, St Malo, France, pp. 52-65.
- L. H. Seawright and R. A. MacKinnon, VM/370: A study of multiplicity and usefulness, IBM Systems
Journal, Vol 18, No 1, 1979, pp. 4-17.
- P. Barham, B. Dragovic, K. Fraser, S. Hand, T. Harris, A. Ho, R.
Neugebauer, I. Pratt, and A. Warfield, "Xen and the Art of Virtualization," Proceedings of the 19th Symposium on Operating System Principles, October, 2003.
- A. D. Birrell and B. J. Nelson, "Implementing Remote
Procedure Calls", ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, Vol. 2, No. 1,
pp. 39-59, February 1984.
- D. R. Cheriton and W. Zwaenepoel, The
Distributed V Kernel and its Performance for Diskless
Workstations, Proceedings of the 9th Symposium on Operating
Systems Principles, pp. 129-140, November 1983.
- Thomas E. Anderson, Brian N. Bershad, Edward D. Lazowska, Hanry M. Levy, "Scheduler Activations: Effective Kernel Support for the User-level Management of Parallelism", Proceedings of the 13th ACM
Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, Sept. 1991, pp. 95-109.
- Carl A. Waldspurger and William E. Weihl, "Stride Scheduling: Deterministic Proportional-Share Resource Management",
Technical Report: TM-528, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 1995.
- Marshall K. McKusick, William N. Joy, Samuel J. Leffler, and
Robert S. Fabry, "A Fast File System for Unix," ACM Transactions on
Computer Systems, 2(3), August 1984, pp. 181-197.
- Mendel Rosenblum and John K. Ousterhout, "The
Design and Implementation of a Log-Structured File System,"
Proceedings of the 13th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles,
- Jim Gray, Paul McJones, Mike Blasgen, Bruce Lindsay, Raymond Lorie,
Tom Price, Franco Putzolu, and Irving Traiger, "The
Recovery Manager of the System R Database Manager,"
ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), Volume 13, Number 2, June 1981.
- M. Satyanarayanan, Henry H. Mashburn, Puneet Kumar, David C.
Steere, and James J. Kistler, "Lightweight
Recoverable Virtual Memory," Proceedings of the 14th
ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, December 1993, pages 146-160.
- H. M. Levy and P. Lipman, "Virtual Memory Management in VAX/VMS", IEEE Computer, Vol. 15, No. 3, March 1982, pp.35-41.
- Richard Rashid, Avadis Tevanian, Michael Young, David Golub,
Robert Baronn, David Black, William Bolosky, and Jonathan Chew, "Machine-Independent
Virtual Memory Management for Paged Uniprocessor and Multiprocessor
Architectures," In Proceedings of the Second International
Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and
Operating Systems, October 1987, pp. 31-39.
- Vivek S. Pai, Peter Druschel, and Willy Zwaenepoel,
An efficient and portable Web server,"
Proceedings of the Annual USENIX Technical Conference, June
1999, Monterey, California. Pages 199-212.
- Matt Welsh, David Culler, and Eric Brewer,
Architecture for Well-Conditioned, Scalable Internet Services,"
Proceedings of the 18th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems
Principles, October, 2001, Banff, Canada. Pages 230-243.
- Michael J. Feeley, William E. Morgan, Frederic H. Pighin, Anna R.
Karlin, and Henry M. Levy, "Implementing Global Memory
Management in a Workstation Cluster", Proceedings of the 15th ACM
Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, Dec. 1995, 29(5): 201-212.
- M. D. Schroeder, A. D. Birrell, and R. M. Needham,
"Experience with Grapevine: The Growth of a Distributed System,"
ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, Vol. 2, No. 1, February 1984.
- Thursday 12/4, 11-12:30pm, WLH 2112