CSE 120 -- Homework #3
- Chapter 4: 8, 14, 23, 29, 33
- [Crowley] Suppose we have an average of one page fault every
100,000 instructions, a normal instruction takes 1 microsecond, and a
page fault causes the instruction to take an additional 10
milliseconds. What is the average instruction time, taking page
faults into account? Redo the calculation assuming that a normal
instruction takes 0.5 microseconds instead of 1 microsecond.
- [Crowley] Suppose we have a computer system with a 44-bit
virtual address, page size of 64K, and 4 bytes per page table
- How many pages are in the virtual address space?
- Suppose we use two-level paging and arrange for all page tables
to fit into a single page frame. How will the bits of the address
be divided up?
- Suppose we have a 4 GB program such that the entire program
and all necessary page tables (using two-level pages from above)
are in memory. (Note: It will be a lot of memory.)
How much memory, in page frames, is used by the program,
including its page tables?
- Nachos VM Worksheet